Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Buddy Boy, My Brave Little Man

So today at 4 am I was up fretting about my middle child. John Venner-Mark, aka Bud has a lot to live up to. John is his daddy's name, as well as his daddy's daddy's name. I never had the pleasure of meeting John's dad, but I have heard that he was one hell of a man. As for my husband John, well he is as perfect as they come. Venner was my grandfather, whom EVERYONE, who was anyone called Bud. He also was one hell of a man, who would fight to the end for his family. He is no longer with us, and was taken suddenly, and tragically, and Bud probably has very little memory of his great grandfather
but he really is a mini him! Mark is my dad's name and he mixed with a good portion of thier daddy is exactly what I would like for my sons to be. I think Bud is becoming quite an awesome combo of these men in my life.

Today was Bud's surgery day. For me yesterday never really had an end. I didn't sleep all night. I laid and listened to my husband snore, and my son breath (and talk) in his sleep. I tossed and turned, and then I got up and turned the TV on and knit.

Finally after a few repeats of that procedure, I got up and quietly (we were at John's sister's house on the mainland) got myself ready and then waited some more. At 6:30 we were checking Bud in. I felt like the owrst mom ever. He was soo happy and charming the nurses. They had toys for him to play with. Then at about 7:15 they gave him 1/4 tsp of some magic potion that literally made him drunk......he was sooo cute, giggly, droopy eyed and silly. I felt like I was leading him into the lions den blindly!
At 7:30 they wheeled him away from us....I sat
and knit for 30 minutes when at 8:01 the Dr.
came in and told us all went well, but that when he got in and started poking around, he realized just how little mvement Bd had in his tongue. He almost couldn't lift it or stretch it enough to make the first snip but did manage to get things just so....he had the more invasive procedure which involves stitches.











All in all, it went well and we were released with our groggy, drunk little boy at 9:10 am. He stayed in sort of a drunk or hung over stupor til around 5 ish. It is amazing to see him with his new released tongue. So far he seems to be much LOUDER!!! hmmmmm......but he seems to feel a bit odd with his new mouth buddy, almost like it feels too big. I watched him run his tongue over his lips this evening to get a stray drip of ice cream....he has NEVER been able to do that before. I am sure over the next few days as he gets used to the feel of the
and the movement, and range of motion, he will readjust the way he talks.


The nurses at the hospital were great and he really charmed a few of them.








Someone should tell dad that stretching isn't going to make him invisible. This is the very drunk Bud, in the recovery room, getting ready to be wheeled to his room...he wanted Daddy to ride with him.

All is wel and I thingk I will go get some sleep now!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I can't even begin to imagine how scary it must be for any parent to watch their little one go through surgery. You should be so proud of yourself for being so brave. And I'm so glad to hear he came through with flying colors and it sounds like he's doing really well already. I'll keep your little man in my thoughts.

Dianne said...

Wonderful news! What a brave little trooper he is. [[[Hugs]]] all around!

Mother of Chaos said...

Oh, you brave, brave Momma! I'm so happy to hear he's doing well - and not even a little surprised that he is charming the nurses. :)

Gramma Phyllis said...

It is amazing, but true, kids get through such things as surgery and hospital stays better than their parents and grandparents. (Ask me how I know and I'll tell you.) We can imagine everything that COULD go wrong and they just live for the moment.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

So glad the surgery went well! I bet you are relieved that it is over and done with.