Friday, January 11, 2008

Mommy's First Day of School Blues AND KNITTING

So have you ever had the feeling that you were only needed for laundry, food, a kissed boo boo now and again, and to change dirty Dipies???? Well today was Bretty's first day of "school" it is sort of a pre- pre school.....or playgroup if you will. Now the ticket office is across the road so I have seen several basket cases come out....on kids first day, you know that type......"wanna go play" mom asks....the kid IMMEDIATELY starts screaming and crying and clininging to mom......now with Shy, we dropped her off and
pretty much summed it up in a look, the look was one cast over her shoulder along with a shrug that said......"what in the he## are you 2 still here for??? Get lost" Seriously she could say that and more with just a look.......diminish us to dust on the floor. Bud on his first day kissed us both and ran off to play giving us a wave. And then when he could talk, before we even got through the door he was telling us goodbye, while we watched other kids months older than him melt in puddles at thier parents feet BEGGING and pleading with them not to leave them in this place alone WAAAAAAAAA! Not our kids. I think I secretly hoped that my youngest would have SOME sort of seperation anxiety, a tear or at least a sad Mommmmma. Nope the little poop kinda looked at us wee bit skeptical gave us kisses and ran off to the toys. POOP.......When we went to pick him up he was crying his eyes out, quietly in my head I said...ha see he does love me.......I asked the teacher how long he had been crying and she said, "oh not long he slipped on a piece of paper poor thing, he had a blast.....never even asked for you!!! To which my heart again fell..........but then he saw me tears dried up and mommy made him better! I looked at the teacher and asked what are we doing right? Why don't our kids have issues with us leaving? She looked at me like I was nuts but then thought about it and said, they know you are coming back, they are secure in your love. AWWWWWW Ok I feel better now! So now I have one in school all day, one in school for 4 hours Mon-Thurs. and one in school for 3 hours on Friday. Freedom is getting closer I can smell it!!! :) Wouldn't trade it for a million bucks........
I am getting out of my funk and knitting for the sake of knitting again. I have had my S>O>S> done just not blocked for a while now. Bocked it tonight. I really need blocking wires as there are not SUPPOSED to be all those points on the edges, but i had to do what i had to do. no place to get those wires around here :(



I think it came out really nice. Not sure what I will do with it as I really have no cause to wear a shawl. Any ideas?






It is fairly long I would say almost 6 feet. It is a shame to just have it collect dust!!






I am back to the Aran. I have a bit done on the back......as you can see the front is all done.

On the knitting front, I finished and gifted 2 more BSJ's Oh how I love them. I did one in a superwash wool......I would not recommend the brand. Although it DOES soften with washing and blocking while you are knitting with it, it feels like acrylic, it squeaks and is just gross. :P I also have done 3 pairs of thrummed mittens.

I have a friend who is getting ready to start chemo for breast cancer and I am thinking about doing a chemo cap for her out of the Odessa pattern
what do you guys and gals think? Will the beads be irratating? She is young (33) so I wanted something a bit fresh and a little hip..........I also need to know what a suitable yarn for it would be......ANYONE have any suggestions? I thought about cotton but am not sure cotton will keep its shape. Bare in mind my hubby still is not full time employed and we are squeaking by.......so I can't go in for cashmere..........but needs something just as loveably soft!!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

The shawl is beautiful. I never finished past about week 2 or 3...Although I like it I may not finish.
Using Odessa with cotton would be beautiful and soft. If you're concerned about the beads, I'd just leave them off. I knit one from soy silk which I would not expect to hold its shape very well, but has been better than I expected. (Mine was for a chemo patient, too.)

Sonja said...

Bernat has a cashmere blend that's very soft, and pretty affordable. I've seen it at the big box craft stores. I knit Odessa last year, and I don't recall that the beads are that noticable on the inside, but it is very pretty without them.